SCDOT will be converting the existing interchange at I-85 and SC 290 to a Diverging Diamond Intersection (DDI) design and improving the ramps at the interchange.
- Preliminary Engineering began Spring 2014 and is scheduled to be complete Spring 2017
- Right of Way is scheduled to begin Spring 2016 and be complete Spring 2017
- Construction is scheduled to begin Spring 2018 and be complete Summer 2021
Benefits to a Diverging Diamond Intersection (DDI):
- “Free” or simple left and right turns from all directions
- Improved safety through fewer conflict points
- Shorter overall traffic signal length reduces delays
- Better signal network synchronization
- Bicycle & pedestrian crossings are shorter and safer
- Visit The Official Website of the DDI for more safety and operational benefits
This video demonstration from NCDOT shows how diverging diamond intersections improve the flow of traffic and reduce the number of traffic cycles: Diverging Diamond Interchange Visualization
1st Public Information Meeting
Sept 13, 2016 from 5pm - 7pm at Byrnes High School
See the PDF below for more information.
Link to construction updates on the SCDOT website: I-85 / SC 290 Diverging Diamond Intersection Improvements
See the pictures below to view examples of other diverging diamond intersections around the country.